Tuesday, August 30, 2011

FC2: PERMADEATH Chapter Thirteen: EXPLOSIONS

I make my way back into town, whistling and loudly wondering what all the commotion's about, followed by claims about how I certainly had nothing to do with it. The APR's the only one offering me work now, and according to Kouassi, they are now "the shit". They want me to blow up air compressors the UFLL have at a motor pool in a scrapyard. As Kouassi puts it, "Today you are being paid to blow things up. Tell me you do not love your job!"

Michele calls again and tells me to meet her up north, uncharacteristically far away from my main objective. The things I do for better gear. I catch a bus up to the northwest and set off. Along the way another jeep on the road starts to pursue me, and after I take down the gunner with my machine gun, the other guy hops out and actually does start taunting me. Which is good, because I wasn't sure if he was alive or not. I made sure soon afterwards about his state.

Michele wants me to go to a nearby chemical depot and steal a shipping manifest that outlines the routes of a bunch of trucks carrying petrol. She wants to ambush one of these trucks, not to steal the fuel but just to blow it up. While I do admire the zeal she has for explosions for explosion's sake, I can't help but wondering if pairing up with the hyper-deadly, definitely unhinged French lady is going to come back and bite me in the ass later. I'll do it anyway, I mean I'm already all the way out here.

I sleep and then approach the depot in the dead of night. I survey it from across the field to find it looks pretty lightly defended, so I make my approach, managing to breach the perimeter undetected. As I make my way onto the porch of the main office, a guard walks out, and the shooting starts. I grab the manifest off a desk inside and take cover, but as I do so Michele calls. Even though she only has maybe ten words to say to me, it's enough time for a shotgun wielding soldier to storm into the office and pump me full of lead.

Marty comes to my rescue again, dragging me back so I'm just outside the camp. I heal myself, then proceed to clear out the depot purely out of spite. I decide not to trust Michele anymore.

I head out, clearing out a checkpoint then making my way to a nearby gun store. I buy a crate for my special weapons as well as an upgrade for my flamethrower, rendering me broke once again. I set off, running off a guy who's standing in the middle of the road, not close to anything noteworthy really. I don't know how this trend of hanging out in the middle of country roads during the nighttime caught on, but it's proving to be a very bad idea for these guys.

I take out a perimeter checkpoint by approaching from the river, then approach the scrapyard. I manage to enter through a fortuitous hole in the fence. The terrain here is very uneven, with a lot of hills and dips, not to mention all the rusting metal hulks all over the place. I can use this to my advantage. I look up to see someone has connected the roofs of a few boxcars with some perfectly nice walkways, and decide to take advantage of them. I make my way to the perimeter and manage to get the drop on a sentry. I don't have any silenced weapons, so I decide to take him down with my machete then go crazy on the rest of the guards.

I kill him then move along the boxcars to the top of a hill equal parts dirt and tires that gives me a commanding view of the area while affording me pretty decent cover. The soldiers I've drawn out all approach me down very exposed walkways, and I make short work of most of them. At one point I hit a red barrel placed next to a jeep, resulting in a pretty awesome explosion. When my AK starts running dry, I pull out my flamethrower.

It's ridiculously effective. I just sprint straight up to dudes and light them on fire. It also proves very handy for clearing out the building with the compressor. After the area's pretty secure, I place a charge on the compressor, then move outside and hit the button. Michele calls to say she's hitting the convoy, and it turns out to be just to the north of the scrapyard, closer than usual. As I make my way in that direction, a massive plume of flame rises into the night sky. I get there to finish off a couple guys, and the mission is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment