Monday, May 26, 2014

What I Wrote in the Guestbook at Whynot? Coffee & Wine

For me, New York will probably be remembered as the city of coffee.

I didn't really touch the stuff before I started living here in earnest. Mostly I just drank tea, and I still do, but I've since graduated to its stronger, younger sibling. I've come to appreciate the taste, but it still gets me so caffeinated that I get jittery. It becomes hard for me to focus on any single thing, and I opt instead for total sensory overload.

It's a mirror for my overall experience with this city. There are always so many possibilities, so many paths before me that at times it can be downright maddening. But whenever I try to imagine living anywhere else at this point in my life, I realize how quickly I'd get bored. Drinking decaf might have the same taste, but when the liquid's gone, what are you left with?

No comments:

Post a Comment